Wednesday, 5 July 2017

Winter Solstice - making progress!!

The last few days I've been plodding along with my Christmas Winter Solstice blocks. I love the bigger blocks and they are looking lovely in the Christmas fabric.

Among The Stars - the big central block, confirmed my newfound love of HSTs!



a close up on the star centre..




Board Games block:





Jacobs Ladder - I changed this as I preferred this layout, so it doesn't look like a ladder, but I'm happy with it.




Precious Fabric - I swapped my light for dark in this block as I wanted a big area of the Santa print showing.




I still have 14 blocks to go. I've decided I'm going to QAYG with this one as I haven't done that before and the big blocks lend themselves to using this method.




Wednesday, 28 June 2017

Winter Solstice Blocks


Well I've had a busy day sewing more Winter Solstice blocks and I'm really pleased with how its looking.

This block is Gramma Annas Basket and its different to the design. I wanted to feature the fabric in the centre of the block instead of applique the basket and then I changed the direction of the other blocks to form a frame.




This block is Tidy Rows.



And I really like this block - The Crosswalk.


I've cut out the pieces for the next few blocks ready to go tomorrow. The quilt is going to be bigger than I thought!

Winter Solstice - Cobblestones

Well I've been away from the sewing machine for far too long! It feels good to get my sewing mojo back and I certainly have a lot of projects to catch up on. I'm seeing everyones beautiful Pat Sloans' Winter Solstice quilts getting finished so I thought I'd start with some solstice blocks

Block 4 is called Cobblestones, a nice simple block pattern that sewed up quickly.



I'm doing a Christmas themed quilt so I'm using red, green, a santa fabric and a christmas floral fabric. On to block #5 now..

Saturday, 14 January 2017

En Provence MQ - Final Clue

The reveal of En Provence's layout did not disappoint - I love the final look of the quilt!  But before piecing it together there was batch of quarter square triangles to be made.



I made an error in measurement when cutting the triangles so I have a heap that are smaller left over.  Next time I will trim blocks as I go, I had a lot of trimming up to do!


One thing I've learned from the mystery quilt is how versatile triangles are, and I feel much more confident sewing them now. I spent some time playing around with different patterns.








Then I got down to laying out my blocks:



I've not had much time to sew but I have several blocks partially pieced.


Lily decided they made a great place to sleep  - she did not want to get off them when I tried to move her and put up a bit of an argument.


I've learned so much working on En Provence and I'm pleased I've been able to keep up with sewing each clue. Planning on big weeks sewing this week to get the top pieced.